Taking care of a parent is a reality for one out of eight Americans today. Luckily as caregivers, we have many senior living options and services available to find the next home for our loved one. It’s common knowledge that senior adults want to remain in their home as long as possible. It’s confirmed by an AARP study that 89% of people choose to age at home if given this choice. However, there are some telling signs to look for to help recognize when it’s time for assisted living or a new senior living residence. A few examples are:
- Lapses in memory
- Aggressive behavior
- Home safety issues
- Escalating care needs
- Caregiver stress
As you are considering your senior living options, we have provided you with helpful information on how to find Senior Care in Florida and tips to make the decision making process easier. We understand that it can be difficult to navigate and shuffle through all your choices – we are here to help you.
We are sure you’ve heard the motto “live life to the fullest.” With warm weather and many choices of living arrangements for seniors, Florida is an ideal haven for senior living. To help put this in perspective, did you know:
- Florida has the highest 50+ density in the U.S. and continues to be the number one destination of retirees according to the Florida Department of Elder Affairs.
- Population in Florida age 60+ is 4,454,625; one-third of the population are senior citizens
- Florida has the highest percentage of elderly where 19% of residents are seniors
- Sun City Center, Florida is the home to the 55+ market; with more than 20,000 private homes and 14 facilities offering unique community lifestyle:
- All-volunteer community with age restrictions requiring at least one resident per household to have reached 55 years of age.
- Many families own a golf cart as the city has been given special permission to drive unlicensed golf carts on the streets.
- In the 2014 Cost of Care Survey conducted by Genworth Financial, Florida ranks in the top 3 amongst the lowest cost for a one-bedroom, single-occupancy assisted living apartment.
We realize that there are many variables that come into play when considering the geographical location for your loved one and Florida may not be the ideal location for you. Our reach extends beyond Florida so rest assured that we can be of assistance to you. Nonetheless, Florida is a great option if it meets your needs.
You may be asking, where do I start or what do I do next? We are a resource and service for you, free of charge. We believe in information sharing and providing you with what you need to ease the decision making process. In addition to the services and information listed on the Small Assisted Living Coalition website, a few additional resources are:
Assisted Living Federation of America
Please let us know how we can help you by calling us at (813) 857-2551 or contact us through the website.